Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Duncan Phyfe table?

Question
Table and chairs
Table and chairs  

Table leg
Table leg  
Hello Robert,

I am hoping you can help me identify a table that has come into my possession.  My sister bought this table several years ago at a yard sale and after a while ended up in my parents storage shed.  I came across it and have began restoring it.  My sister tells me it is a Duncan Phyfe style table with 6 "married" chairs.  The table is in good shape with some scratches on the top and self edge.  There is also some wear on the corners/edges of the legs.  I have re-glued the legs but have not touched the top.  The table came with two 12" leafs that match.  Also included were leather/felt covers that fit perfectly on the top.  The covers are in bad condition.  The chairs are in good shape with the same wear as the table legs.  They have been reupholstered and are sturdy.  The set appears to have the original hardware.  I have not been able to locate a manufacturer.  My questions for you are:  Can you identify this table?  What is the approximate date and location of manufacture?  What type of wood is it made of?  Is the top solid wood or a veneer?  Are the chairs really "married" to the table?  What is the set worth?  Would refinishing it increase the value?  Is there even a market for this set?  Is this truly a Duncan Phyfe style?  And finally, is there a better fabric pattern that should be used on the chairs to better match the period?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. (sorry for so many questions!)

Mike A

P.S.  I hope you don't mind, but I am sending an identical email so I can add more pictures.

Answer

so that i can better help others pleas tell me how i was not polite?
=================

Can you identify this table?  
these are called duncan phyfe style, more accurately sheraton style, and my favorite and i believe to be the better is Federal style.

What is the approximate date and location of manufacture?  
1940s
without a label no one can tell you the manufacturer, 5000+ were in operation at the time.

What type of wood is it made of?  Is the top solid wood or a veneer?

mahogany veneer top
sweet gum base

Are the chairs really "married" to the table?  
many sets were sold with and sold to go with these tables.
your set could be earlier or later but still fit just fine.

What is the set worth?  
$450

Would refinishing it increase the value?
only if done properly

Is there even a market for this set?
these sets are salable but not for high dollars since so many were made and are still being made.  a classic and timeless design and form.

Is this truly a Duncan Phyfe style?  
answered above

And finally, is there a better fabric pattern that should be used on the chairs to better match the period?
many patterns, you should look online at fabrics used in Federal style and period dining chairs.

i received no email

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein