Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Globe-Wernicke Chair

Bought this chair at an antique mall. It had a Globe-Wernicke label on the back along with a B.L. Marble Chair Co. label. Looking for information on the chair. I have done a small amount of research and think the chair was made between 1918 and 1929 during Webb Act. But have no other information on the chair. Anything is appreciated.

I see you were unsatisfied with my answer having given a 9 on knowledge.  It is stated in my instructions that asking specific questions is needed, general questions i normally reject but in your case i opted to reply.  perhaps in the future you will ask specific questions.  if you have specific questions please do not hesitate to ask.

I always ask when receiving less that a 10 what i could have done to improve my responses.  What else did you want or need?  Please ask

Perhaps i should have mentioned that it was an institutional chair?

First let me thank you for a history lesson.  I was unaware of the Webb Act and was also unaware that Globe Wernicke, B L Marble, and Commercial Co, entered into the corporate arrangement i just read about in Vol 106 or The Printers Ink.

I would have dated the chair between 1920 and 1930 as you suspect.  My assessment is based not on the Webb Act but on style, wood and color.  The original color prior to the refinishing would have been a dark cordovan mahogany color.

The wood in your chair is figured birch, I hope you purchased both chairs if they were labeled the same.

I dont know what you paid but if I had these i would price them at 175 minimum.   Highest with original but cleaned finish would be around 300.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971