Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gumball Machine Identification

Question
Mystery Machine Front
Mystery Machine Front  

Mystery Machine Side/Back
Mystery Machine Side/B  
Hi Jack,
I came across what seems to be a vintage penny gumball machine, but after searching online, I have turned up nothing on this style/model.  It is all metal with the exception of 4 glass pieces for the body of the machine.  "STAR" is embossed on the lid, and on the floor of the gumball compartment is a capital letter H.  There is some age to it, so forgive me if its a reproduction...it's certainly not new from the looks of it.  No markings on the bottom either.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated...what is it?  Who made it?  What's it worth?  Thanks so much!

Answer
Hi Colleen,
You have a circa 1972 Davis Sales Co machine. Davis Sales Co. was sold to Penny Arcade
of Beverly Hills, CA in 1975. The original Davis Co machine was called the DEAN. The
name was embossed on the top cover. Penny Arcade made the machine under their name and
also private labeled it for numerous customers. STAR is one of the private label machines.
It was made after 1975, but there is no info as to how long it was manufactured. It is
considered an "entry level" collectable and has a value of $50 to $85, depending on
condition. While not very valuable, it is still a good looking machine. Enjoy

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Jack Freund