Collectibles-General (Antiques)/barrister

Last night i bought a Macey Barrister Bookcase. It has inside in Gold Macey with 811 on it. It is for my wife for Christmas. I am going to clean it up and havea great gift for her.. Would you suggest Tung oil for that? what I would really like to know is an age to tel lher it is. i would greatly appreciate anythign you can tell me about it or what i can do to  determine its age. thank you

Adrian - I have already given you the history of Macey in a private email. Now that I can see a photo of the cabinet I estimate your oak elastic bookcase to be from the late 1910s to early 1930s. I specifically DO NOT recommend tung oil for it. It has a shellac finish. The tung oil will not penetrate. It is a drying oil and will sit on top and eventually turn dark. I recommend you clean it with mineral spirits, it won't hurt the shellac, and then apply a thin coat of Howard's walnut tint paste wax.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida