Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cavalier cedar chest

Question
cavalier cedar chest
cavalier cedar chest  

cavalier cedar chest
cavalier cedar chest  
Can you give me a time period to my cavalier cedar chest and value. Pat 565 ser. 2746

Answer
Nikki - Your Art Deco style waterfall cedar chest is from the 1930s to late 1940s. Waterfall refers to the shape of the front edge of the piece. The veneer on the top runs from back to front instead of side to side as it does in most styles. As it goes over the rounded edge this gives the effect of “going over a waterfall.” Waterfall was an important part of the style known as Art Moderne in the 1930s and 1940s. The style today is called Art Deco, a term coined in the 1960s.

The chest would sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor