Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Farley & Loetscher cedar chest/trunk

Nice condition
Nice condition  
I have been using this chest for years and recently decided to maybe sell it. I looked at the name and it is labeled  Farley & Loetscher. I have been reading about it and see that they closed in 1962. How can I tell how old, where it's been and or how much to sell for?

Cedar storage chests such as yours were made by at least a dozen different companies during the early to mid 1900's when these were quite popular. Unfortunately it can be very difficult to tell the age on most of them because they were very similar and there is usually no serial number or date on most of them. Even if there were a serial number the lists are not available for most companies in order to look them up. Also, there is no hardware such as on the early American trunks which can be dated based on the style and patent dates.  So it was probably made from the 1940's up until 1962 when they closed.  I see cedar chests for sale in various shops and online, such as on ebay and craigslist. You could look there to see if similar chests are for sale and what they would be asking for them. I usually see these advertised or priced in the range between about $100 to $250. Condition, size, style, and age are factors in the value, so I can't give a precise value from pictures for something like this.  I hope that helps some.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.