Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Ferguson Card Table Set

Question
Table top and one
Table top and one  

Bottom of table
Bottom of table  
Hi Fred?
I bought a card table and four folding chairs recently.  It has all the original labels on the seat bottoms.  Table is No. 3018 and the chairs are No.6028.  Everything is in great condition except for a few surface scratches from normal wear of the age of this project.  I've read that they are from Hoboken NJ  Just wondering what the value might be for a complete set such as this.  The table legs work well and the chairs tightened up with a few turns of the screws in the bottom brace.

Answer
Rene - The Ferguson Brothers Manufacturing Company made furniture in Hoboken, NJ from 1898 - 1953. They were family owned until being bought in 1953 by Sun-Glo Industries. At this time the company was moved west to Virginia.

History of: * Manufacturer – Ferguson Brothers Maufacturing Co. According to the Dept of State's "Corporations of New Jersey: List of Certificates to Dec. 31, 1911", Ferguson Bros. Manufacturing Co., 8th and Monroe Sts, Hoboken was incorporated January 29, 1903 with $250,000 of capital stock authorized. It commenced business with $250,000. Its agent was Harry Ferguson. The descriptions of what they made usually said "screens and furniture novelties" or "furniture" or "furniture novelties." In the 1930s the entries become longer. The entire entry for 1934 reads: FERGUSON BROS. MFG. CO.,furniture novelties, folding screens, folding tables, cedar chests, smoker stands, cellarettes, humidors. 720 Monroe St., Hoboken. Pres Harry Ferguson; The company ceased operations in 1953.

Your table and chairs fall in the "novelty" category. They were made after the end of World War II in the late 1940s. The set would sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor