Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Frank and Sons chair

I have this Frank and Sons chair with a 1 cent Dept of Labor Inspection stamp on the bottom.  The blue cloth looks original.  My sister told me to contact you and you could tell me some history and what the value might be.

Joe - Here is the history of Frank & Sons.

Your chair is a side dining chair made of a secondary wood, probably gum or birch, stained to look like mahogany. The chair was made in the 1950s or later and it is doubtful the fabric is original with those staples in it.

The chair would sell at auction in the $25 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida