Collectibles-General (Antiques)/George P. Bent shipping chest

Chest 1
Chest 1  

Chest 2
Chest 2  
The George P. Bent chest I believe was used to ship organ parts or something from the Chicago factory. I have looked everywhere and have not found any information.  I wrote the company with pictures and did not receive a response. It I in excellent condition
I would like any assistance on value and where or who to contact to sell.  Thank you!

Hello Cathy,
That's a very interesting item you have and I agree it must have been a shipping chest of some type. Since it is not a travel trunk and has no hardware on it that I can identify, it is very hard to tell the date of something like this.  It's also very hard to put a precise value since I have not seen one before and have no others to compare it with for sale prices. But the size of it would make it useful and I'm sure there are people who would like to have it. Just based on the value of various antique boxes and trunks I would estimate the value somewhere in the range of about $200 to $300, but maybe someone would be willing to pay more. If there was someone with the name Bent, or connected with the company, they might be more interested.  Items such as this are easier to sell if someone can see it. I think I would try listing it on Craigslist so that people in your area may be able to look at it. You might also try putting it on consignment in an antique shop.  Another option is to list it on ebay where many more people can see the pictures.  I hope all goes well.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.