Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Grand Rapids Chair Company Table/Chairs

QUESTION: This dining set has been in my husband's family for approximately 50 years.  We are unsure if it was purchased new.  The table has two leaves that "tuck" under the main table and are less faded than the main table top.  The Grand Rapids Chair Company lable is square with rounded corners and the number 734 is marked in several places.  Obviously, the chairs have been recovered.  We would like to know when this was manufactured and value of this set as we would like to sell it.  Thank you so much for your time and expertise.

ANSWER: This is a draw leaf table in the jacobean style made in the 1920s.

depending on the point of sale the chairs would sell at 65-75 each and the table at 450-650.

the finish is original but the pictures do not show the tabl top to determine that species.  the chairs and table base are tulip poplar and/or sweet gum.

QUESTION: May I send you more photos of the table top to determine the species?

Yes.  please use the followup function so the thread will be intact.  if the follow up function does not work please copy and paste the original postings and the table chair picture.

thanks, that way i wont get too confused as to what i am looking at.

or send to my email with the post included

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971