Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Identification of thimble

QUESTION: I have a silver thimble with five marks on the inside of the apex.  The thimble is not round and is not in pristine condition BUT I am curious about all of the marks and wonder what you can tell me about the thimble. Because I cannot adequately photograph the inside apex, I've made a drawing but can't seem to send an aditional image?

ANSWER: Hello Maria.  I can't tell you anything specific on the marks as I can't really read them from the picture you provided.  However, I can tell you the thimble is Scandinavian, probably Norwegian.  The 14 is the size (the largest mark and therefore, easy for me to see).  The other marks would be the country of origin, the maker's mark and probably the silver mark.  There are internet sites with silver marks....start with Norwegian marks to see if you can match up initials with a maker.  Good luck with the research.  Barbara

QUESTION: THank you Barbara!  What wonderful service and in such a short time.  I'm attaching my drawing of the marks--should they reveal any more info. Again, you are great and I'm smiling.  Ciao, Maria

Hi Maria - I'm afraid I won't be of any more help as I'm no expert on Norwegian marks.  Your best bet is to search for marks on Norwegian silver.  You can watch ebay auctions for similar thimbles to give you an idea of what it is worth.  The fact that it is out of round will detract from the value.  Barb

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Barbara K. Acchino

I have been collecting for almost 30 years.

Organizations; Thimble Collectors International (TCI); Thimble Guild; Thimbletter & Thimbletter II, Empire State Thimble Collectors; CyberThimble; Yahoo Thimble Club

"Sewing with Scotties" Scottie Sampler; various articles for the "Bulletin" - official newsletter of Thimble Collectors International (TCI)

TCI's President's Award