Collectibles-General (Antiques)/james s topham

3 ft high cast iron Indian with copper badge similar to one on trunks. reads James s Topham maker Washington d.c. contract nov. 4 1907. very well done statue various pieces welded together. any history of this,who was it made for.

Topham trunk label
Topham trunk label  

Topham military trunk
Topham military trunk  
That sounds very interesting and it sounds like something that was used at the retail stores where they sold Topham trunks. But I would really like to see a couple pictures including one of the copper label. The contract date was for a contract with the military, to provide trunks used by the military, primarily the footlocker style trunks used by the troops. The Oshkosh Trunk Company in Wisconsin also had an Indian as their trademark, and they made chalkware statues used by the retailers as an advertising piece. But I was not aware that Topham used an Indian for theirs. I don't know that I can tell you more but I would really like to see some pictures.  I have several labels used by the Topham trunk company.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.