Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Louis XV replica chair

Louis XV chair
Louis XV chair  

Louis XV chair
Louis XV chair  
Hi Robert,
Another piece from my Mom. She says its a Louis XV replica chair manufactured in the early 1800s. It was purchased by my grandmother in 1913 in upstate NY.  It looks to be all peg construction. Unfortunately, its only one chair, not a set of two. I am trying to value it to sell, but prices seem all over the map.  I was thinking $350-550?  What do you think the value is?

this chair cannot be assessed from photographs.  it must be done hands and eyes on to determine what it is and when it was made.  have to search for tool marks, construction techniques, materials used, and to see the real clues must look underneath at the unfinished wood for the clues that would help date this.  like i said above this must be hands and eyes on.

the only thing that there that would make someone call this louis xv are the front leg feet and this form of foot was used on many things and through many times.  that the rear legs are splayed is another good attribute but not so much on louis xv.  note the pad feet on the rear.

this very possibly may be a better chair than you realize.  understand too that the pegs you see may be old repairs.  ideally it should be constructed with mortise and tenon construction to be of an earlier time as you were told.

were are you located?  For now keep the chair.  if you would like you may send additional photos to my email of any interior areas of the wood.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971