Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Murphy Cedar Chest

Question
Murphy cedar chest
Murphy cedar chest  

Murphy cedar chest
Murphy cedar chest  
My wife found this chest in the attic of her mother's house and we were wondering if you would be able to give us an approximate age and value of the piece. It is red cedar and has Murphy 4017 on the back. We have tried to find out about the piece on our own but have been unable to locate any information about the company that made it or when it was made.  My wife thinks it is at least 40 years old because she remembers seeing it when she was younger.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Answer
murphy chair company in owensburg, KY.
and
murphy chair company in detroit

unverified information says that the detroit company was first then opened in owensburg  however, another source, also unverified says the two companies are unrelated.

whichever one, the chest appears to be built like the 1920-30s

value is an elusive measure that can be gauged in several manners.  I generall charge between 450 and 650 to restore a chest in this form and size so to me that sets a value.
I have sold them between those two prices as well.

in continuing reading of my research materials i suspect that the companies were conjoined.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein