Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Phoenix Chair Company Chair

I found this Phoenix Chair Company chair at a resale shop for $7 -- I thought it was just adorable! The number on the bottom is 1702-13. Any idea what the value might be?

I also found the handcarved chairs you see in the background -- do you recognize those at all?

Kristin - Your chair is a hoop back (shape of the back) brace back (the two extra braces that support the hoop) Windsor chair. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat. It is based on a late 18th century New England Colonial design. The seat is natural cattail rush.

The chair was made during the Depression era of the late 1920s to late 1930s. It appears to have been painted black. It is made of birch and originally probably had a walnut finish.

The chairs in the background are folk art chairs. The server in the background is Empire Revival, circa 1890, made of mahogany.

Your chair would sell at auction in the $35 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida