Collectibles-General (Antiques)/ride sandy ride

Question
I have a 1 cent riding horse sitting in my living room as a piece of art.  She is missing a stirrup and not sure if it works.  I am moving and she needs a new home.   Could you help me with a value, thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Sue,
Sorry for taking a bit here in answering but I was busy looking for answers to what has always the hardest question: What is it worth? I have to say here, what a fine looking antique kiddy ride and this is the one I think that most people would be looking for, heck, I would love to have it myself and I mostly just deal in slots, some jukeboxes, and other smaller old coin operated machines. Now, value is tough here, at one time I would say as it is maybe from 900.00 to 1,500.00 but that was a long time ago. I don't deal in these rides myself so I don't have the means to keep myself informed in the changing values of these rides. Restoration can add a ton to its value but in most cases, restoration costs more than its current value, so that is one reason restored machines and items cost so much. I like good original as you can't paint old, it takes years for something to look old and you can't have an old overly restored item, restored back to old again, once an item is restored that is gone forever. I guess that is why I love your machine as it is in very nice original condition and to me would be worth top dollar whatever that might be. I would take yours over a restored one any day of the week. But again, that is me and I find most people want an item that has been fully restored and they are willing to pay top dollar for just that. So all I can really do here is offer my ideas as to value as I see a huge swing of different selling prices on this. My guess would be about the same as before and value it at around $1,500.00 but I would start out trying to sell it at around 2,500.00 because of its great original condition and go from there. I might even ask around to some of the dealers in antique kiddy rides and see what they have in mind as to value, maybe see what they are asking for theirs, and then ask what they might pay for yours. There is really no clean blue book value on antiques so that is what makes this answer so difficult and the last thing I want to do is tell you it's worth something less than it really is. If I error at all I want it to be on the high side and in your benefit, but I try to right on the best I can. This is also one reason that I would like to advise you to look around a little more yourself and then decide what price to start at. If you're reasonable or on the low side, it will sell and it's over, and if you're too high you might have to deal with trying to sell it for a long time. I feel at around 1,500.00 that it would sell fairly fast so that is why I was thinking you may want to start at around 2,500.00.
I hope this gives you some ideas, and please ask around a little more as you have a fine looking antique pony ride there!

Thank you
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson