Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Stallman Dresser Trunk

Question
Was this kind of trunk used by Vaudevillians?
Any suggestions on where i can find construction information for replacement parts.  

Thank you

Answer
1898 Stallman Ad
1898 Stallman Ad  

1905 Stallman Ad
1905 Stallman Ad  
Thomas,

I expect that some of the Stallman dresser trunks were used by traveling theatrical or Vaudevillian groups. But most of them were probably used by individuals for personal travel. Most of them were made between 1900 and the mid 1920's. Over the last 40 years I have restored a few of these and seen a number of them, including a few with the names of theater or performing groups painted on the sides or top. There were at least a dozen trunk companies that also made their own version of the dresser or theatrical trunks, including the Taylor Trunk Works of Chicago, which even had a full line of trunks "for the profession" which included trunks made for circus performers, musicians, etc. The Stallman dresser trunks were advertised in many early papers and publications and I've attached a couple of these for you to view. As far as construction information and parts goes, these trunks were made in the same way as most trunks of the time, with canvas covering, hardwood slats, stamped metal hardware, etc. The hardware and locks used on the Stallman trunks were "generic" styles which were used by many trunk companies and not made by Stallman. Some reproduction parts are available for trunks of that period, however I would always recommend using old parts, which can often be found from some sources such as trunk restorers. If you provide more information or pictures of the parts you may be looking for I may be able to help you as I have a variety of old trunk parts. You can also email me directly at Marvin@ThisOldTrunk.com

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller