Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Wardrobe

Question
Outside
Outside  

Inside
Inside  
Hello Marvin,
Would you be able to tell us anything about this wardrobe trunk?
Cheers,
Geoff

Answer
1913 Madler Trunk Co ad
1913 Madler Trunk Co a  

Madler Trunk Ad
Madler Trunk Ad  
Geoff,

This style wardrobe trunk was made primarily in Germany from about 1900 until the early 1930's. The style was patented by a German trunk maker named Moritz Madler of Leipzig, Germany and called the "Rohrplatten" trunk, which translates as the tubular or rounded slat trunk design. Most are made of heavy canvas over lightweight wood. The interiors were normally lined in blue and white striped fabric or paper such as yours. In the early 1900's many other European trunk makers started copying the design, mostly in Germany and also in Austria, Switzerland, and England. A few were even made in the U.S. for a few years by a couple large trunk makers. Madler used small metal labels on the exterior of their trunks but many other companies did not put labels on their trunks. We don't see these show up too often in the U.S. so some people think they are very rare, but they were a very common design for quite a few years. Of course most of them were probably destroyed over the years as many old trunks were, so now they are not exactly easy to find. Sometimes there are marking or a name on the lock, but that is often just the name or mark of the lock company. I would say there is a good chance this trunk is from Germany and from the 1920's to early 1930's, made by a company other than Madler. It appears to be in pretty good original condition. I am attaching a couple old ads from the Madler company, which tell of their patented trunks and that they are strong and lightweight. This rounded slat style was made in a variety of models.  

Marvin Miller  ThisOldTrunk.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller