Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique chair

Question
front
front  

under
under  
I would like to know more about this chair if possible. I just got it from a store up state New York. The store owner said it was 18th century, I'm not sure. I have looked all over the internet and haven't seen any other chair that looked like this.
The seat has worn off, it seems it was a red/maroon leather seat with cotton between the leather and the burlap(?). Underneath that there are still strips of linen/burlap in the cut out of the wood.
I have more images if needed.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Heidi

Answer
This chair, a different form of a Savonarola chair.  It is a different take on the Savonarola style with an oriental flair which was in vogue at the time as the orient was beginning to open up to trade on a very limited scale.

It was made around 1890-1920 at the earliest.  The wood is figured birch and birch stained with a water based dye to resemble mahogany as was common at the time.

a fair retail price in a shop would be around 650-850 depending on the type of store.

at one time the padding would have been horse and pig hair with a thin cotton batting over the hair.

This is a very nice chair and appears to be in excellent condition.  I urge you to use some furniture paste wax like Johnsons floor paste wax or antique mahogany color Briwax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein