Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique chair

I would like to know more about this chair if possible. I just got it from a store up state New York. The store owner said it was 18th century, I'm not sure. I have looked all over the internet and haven't seen any other chair that looked like this.
The seat has worn off, it seems it was a red/maroon leather seat with cotton between the leather and the burlap(?). Underneath that there are still strips of linen/burlap in the cut out of the wood.
I have more images if needed.
Thank you in advance for your help.

This chair, a different form of a Savonarola chair.  It is a different take on the Savonarola style with an oriental flair which was in vogue at the time as the orient was beginning to open up to trade on a very limited scale.

It was made around 1890-1920 at the earliest.  The wood is figured birch and birch stained with a water based dye to resemble mahogany as was common at the time.

a fair retail price in a shop would be around 650-850 depending on the type of store.

at one time the padding would have been horse and pig hair with a thin cotton batting over the hair.

This is a very nice chair and appears to be in excellent condition.  I urge you to use some furniture paste wax like Johnsons floor paste wax or antique mahogany color Briwax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971