Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique twin bed

Question
Hi Fred,
I have just received an antique bed from my mother.  The bed has the marking "American Walnut, Atlas Furniture Co.
Made in Jamestown, NY" on a sticker on the back of the headboard. I was told that the bed is circa 1880, but I have just read on the internet that this company did not start until the late 1920's.
Can you verify the date of this company and let me know what you think the bed frame may be worth in restored condition?  The bed was recently involved a fire, and suffered some smoke and water damage.
Thank you,
Annie

Answer
Annie - The company was founded in 1882 but the label you mention is from the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s. If you can send me some clear digital photos of the bed as well as any labels I will be happy to tell you what I can. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at info@furnituredetective.com. Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not be able to respond.
Thanks

Fred Taylor
“HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE”
www.furnituredetective.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor