Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Berkey & Gay full size painted bed

my bed
my bed  

my bed
my bed  
I am the recipient of an old full sized painted bed and have no idea of the value or if I should paint it. I am attaching a couple pictures of a matching night stand. I do not wish to paint over the beautiful flower border, just the rest of the head and footboard as they have acquired quite a few "scars". Thanks so much for any input.

Carol - Most of the B&G furniture of this era, 1920s and early 1930s, was hand painted by Japanese trained craftsmen. It would be a shame to paint over this work. However, the bed is not an antique and it is not really a collector item. The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida