Collectibles-General (Antiques)/fogle furniture company chair reproduction

Question
fogle chair
fogle chair  

fogle chair
fogle chair  
they were in business from about 1925 to 1988 or close to that as I remember reading, they are from winston salem N.C.  I bought this victorian french style chair stuffed with something like a cotton material and has support french springs.  All is in great shape, including upholstery, minus a small amount of fringe missing from the arm carvings.  Wondering about age and price value. I have it listed on ebay for $300.  Is that too much. Fogle was supposed to be an upend furniture company.  Also, on another note I need to rate your last help.  I cant find where to click to do that.  Oh, and thank you very much for all of your help on the kingsley chair pair you helped me with.
I have read you appraisal and the help you have given others and I know you are great for this work.  Again, thanks alot

Answer
Sorry I had to cut our phone conversation short yesterday.

I would leave this chair at 300, a bit on the high side since someone will most likely be looking at recovering costs, then see what happens.  The market place is the best price gauge and i would guess you may get an offer of half that and you should take it.  I know that the original fabric is desirable but that is not nearly as desirable or important as having that on a 150-200 year and piece and even then, if it is degraded, it should be replaced if the item is to be used.  in a museum of course that would be different.

selling upholstered chairs and sofas is difficult, as we discussed yesterday, since recovering enters into the mix and unfortunately many folks would opt to purchase a visually appealing new item made poorly.

glad you posted this.  it enabeled me to find a book on the history of winston-salem.  i have been there many times.  did you know that they have the largest collection of southern built furniture in the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA) within the historical section also having a living history area (several square blocks) with bakery, gunsmith, cobblers, bookbindery and others?

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein