Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Metal storage bin

Side of bin
Side of bin  
This is a black metal large bi with gold painting on it.  It has a 90 degree angle shape at back with curved front.  It is about 4 ft tall

Hi Pat,

I'm not an expert on this type of metal bin, but I will see if I can help any or give you some ideas.  I can't make out what was printed in gold on the lid, but it looks like some kind of name which I believe could be the key to figuring this out.  This was obviously made in a special shape to fit in a certain place. So I would examine that name very carefully to see if you can make out all or most of the letters. Also, I would check inside for any traces of what could have been stored in this. At first it made me think of the English coal bins that were used by fireplaces, often called a coal hod. But it is larger than most of those. The gold decoration appears to be something from the 1890's to early 1900's to me. There could be many things this could have stored, and it could have been part of a large cupboard or made to fit into a certain space of another piece or place in a store or home. Just throwing out ideas, it could have been used for storing anything from coal, to grain, to tea.  So, I'm not really much help, but maybe another antiques expert out there can help you.  My expertise is really in travel trunks and chests, which this definitely is not.  Good luck.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.