Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Metal storage bin

Question
Front
Front  

Side of bin
Side of bin  
This is a black metal large bi with gold painting on it.  It has a 90 degree angle shape at back with curved front.  It is about 4 ft tall

Answer
Hi Pat,

I'm not an expert on this type of metal bin, but I will see if I can help any or give you some ideas.  I can't make out what was printed in gold on the lid, but it looks like some kind of name which I believe could be the key to figuring this out.  This was obviously made in a special shape to fit in a certain place. So I would examine that name very carefully to see if you can make out all or most of the letters. Also, I would check inside for any traces of what could have been stored in this. At first it made me think of the English coal bins that were used by fireplaces, often called a coal hod. But it is larger than most of those. The gold decoration appears to be something from the 1890's to early 1900's to me. There could be many things this could have stored, and it could have been part of a large cupboard or made to fit into a certain space of another piece or place in a store or home. Just throwing out ideas, it could have been used for storing anything from coal, to grain, to tea.  So, I'm not really much help, but maybe another antiques expert out there can help you.  My expertise is really in travel trunks and chests, which this definitely is not.  Good luck.
Marvin

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller