Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mills late 30s Bursting Cherry

Question
Roger, Hi, I have been actively involved in repairing vintage timepieces for 30+ years. When I was at the various Antique shows buying/selling I always was fascinated by the antique slots. It was only a matter of time before one followed me home. It was an impulse buy which usually works out terribly but I think this worked out well. I visually checked the mechanism with photos from a website that compared a reproduction to a genuine unit and it does appear to be genuine Mills Bursting cherry quarter slot with a s/n that dates it to the late 30s. I purchased a number of the Mills repair reprints to help familiarize myself with the mechanism. I did have a question regarding the function of the 'check detector lever' and the 'check detector operating arm'. What exactly was the function and how it interacted with the entire mechanism? My unit was missing the check detector lever but then I read in the Mills repair guide that it was better to remove it for home use?On several online sites I also noted that the lever had been removed from some mechanisms? Anyway thanks for your time and help...Robert

Answer
Hi Robert,

Sorry but my computer is broken and I am waiting for a part to come today to fix it. Right now I am using a very old-old-old lap top so I can't even see the screen on and it does a lot of weird things, it but lets see how it goes here. Very good question and a very nice machine! In the early days some states did not allow a machine to pay out in real coins. The could payout in tokens but not in real coins. So they made machines that could separate the real coins from the tokens or checks as they are sometimes called. This involved several parts and not just the check detector lever. So on later machines like yours you will still have this lever but most likely all the other parts are not there. The tokens or checks as there called are a coin of the same size but has a large hole in the center of each one. As a real coin or a token is played this token lever will move in to since the coin. If it is a token in play the lever will pass through the hole and see that it is a token, so it will allow the coin to pass and move on down to the coin tube and be deposited into the coin tube for a future payout, it the token lever hit a real coin with no hole in it, it would direct that coin for movement right to the cash box thus removing it from future play, so it would never be used for a future payout. Thus you could use real coins or tokens for play but the machine would only pay you in tokens and never in real coins. Why is this token lever still on later machines is a good question, I would guess it was easy not to change the design of the coin escalator and just leaving it on did not interfere with anything, and also if someone needed to order parts or a new coin escalator for a token machine the replacement part would fit that machine as it would fit the later machines also. If you see a long metal coin shoot with several small holes in it, going down the backside of your jackpot which would most likely not be on yours, this is some of the hardware so the real coins to be directed right to the cash-box, and there was another shoot I think that was attached to the top casting and going to the coin escalator which would allow the real coin to be removed from play and it would run down through these shoots to end up in the coin box and the tokens would be routed the normal way they are on later machines to remain in play. If you would like to send photos of you machine so I could tell you if you had any of the other token equipment I would be happy to look them over for you, and you could email them to: Rodger@coinslots.com You are wise to really do your home work on this war eagle, as they are copied more then the rest out there but from what you tell me, I believe you have a good original one also. So, your a clock guy? Ever hear of a Wizard Clock, a mantel clock that is really a disguised trade stimulator that takes nickels and pays out trade tokens and still keeps good time? I have one, very cool old item.

Thank You

Rodger Knutson

http://www.coinslots.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson