Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Trunk

Question
Hello Mr. Miller,
I have had an old trunk for years and not knowing ananything about it for years until I downloaded this fancy magnifier on my phone. While checking out the previously unknown world around me, I thought I would examine the trunk. I have always wondered about it's age as well as where it is from and what it has seen.  The lock on the front has Eagle lock Co. Terryville CT with HM on either side. One last thing that may be just me but a little mans face next to HM.  The inside has compartments held with leather and nice picture of girl wwith dog and just dog on the other. Do you know the age of my trunk? I would really love to know!  Thank you in advance for solving this mystery.
Sincerely,
Sherry

Answer
Sherry,

This is a bit of a mystery because I don't remember ever seeing an Eagle lock with the initials HM on it. Eagle Lock company was in business for about 100 years and made many types of trunk locks for hundreds of different trunk makers in the country. They were used on many styles of trunks.  The pictures you mentioned sound like typical lithographs which were used by many trunk companies.  In order to help with the age and possible maker, I would need to see a few pictures of the trunk and maybe a good picture of the lock which shows the markings. I can usually at least give you the approximate age of a trunk based on the style and type of hardware on the trunk.  If you can't attach them here you can email them directly to me at Marvin@ThisOldTrunk.com   Thanks.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller