Collectibles-General (Antiques)/pigeon holes in cutler desk

Question
Hi Robert, It's Vince from Down Under again.

I need to disassemble the pigeon holes on my desk so I can strip the dark/old varnish off and re-varnish anew.

I’m a bit nervous about this because they may not go back together rigidly.

Pigeon holes are currently held together with small panel pins/nails and I think glue.

I don't want to break anything taking them apart, so what’s the best plan of attack Re: Disassembly and reassembly?...regards..Vince

Answer
not knowing your skill set in this regard i cannot tell you what to do.  i rarely take them apart, just out.

i clean them using mineral spirits, sometimes lacquer thinner after, wipe them with 320 grit paper, then respray them with shellac.

it is not easy to take apart and put back together pigeonholes in roll top desks the 10th time much less the first time.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein