Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Taylor's comfortable rocker #273

Taylor\'s comfortable Rocker
Taylor's comfortable R  
Hello fred,
       I have aquiired this beautifully crafted mission style  rocking chair and am hoping to find out it's worth. It was made by Taylor's comfortable rockers Company and has a product number of 273 on it. Aside from the cover being removed from the set , the rocker is in great condition. Thank you for your time.

Diana - The Taylor Chair Co of Bedford (Cleveland), OH is reportedly the oldest furniture maker in America still owned by the original family. "Taylor Comfortable Rockers" was the trade name. Here are two sites with some history.

Your chair is made of oak in the Arts & Crafts/Mission style popular in the early 20th century. Here is a pair of oak chairs chairs that sold at auction for $400 in 2013. The taller rocker is a Taylor chair very similar to yours. The smaller chair in this pair carries a Stickley mark so I assume it would have received a higher share of the bid than the Taylor chair.

Here is another Taylor chair similar in design that sold at auction in 2012 for $275.

I would expect your chair to sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor (no relation to the chair company)

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida