Collectibles-General (Antiques)/value and age of buffet and china cabinet

china cabinet
china cabinet  
Happy holidays Robert!
This site is so wonderful for us folks that do not know how to properly identify furniture. I just brought these home today from a woman. When I saw that it is a Drexel (yes?) I started looking into the value. I plan on keeping this and the dining room table (opens to 96" and 10 chairs)

I love this set! Could also send pictures of table and chairs in another email at a later time.

Drexel started in 1903.  The wood is mahogany veneer over a secondary wood that may be tulip poplar or sweet gum.  If it is a later manufacture, 1970-1980s there will most likely be veneer over mdf or particleboard.    I cannot tell the age from the views provided but if you were to use the followup function and post a picture of the back of one piece and the interior of the drawer pocket it would help.  Take the drawer out and take the picture of the hole.

This style, which most people call Duncan Phyfe, has been made for two centuries, although a better and more accurate choice of catagory is Federal style and Sheraton style.

I will make a guess that it is 1940 vintage and retail prices are all over the place.  The condition of the china and sideboard look very good so in a retail setting the sideboard and the china cabinet would sell between 650-950 each.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971