Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique chair

Question
antique chair
antique chair  

antique chair
antique chair  
About 15 years ago I inherited this chair from my grandmother.  It's been in our basement and basically forgotten about.  As we are in the process of downsizing, we started looking at the chair.  I believe the wood is tiger maple and has a cane seat.  It's in exceptionally good condition.  The label on the bottom says Michigan Chair Company - Grand Rapids Mi.  Center of the label says Chairs and Tables.  It appears to be a limited edition as it's marked No. 94 of 188.  I'd like to know it's value and history if that is possible.  I contacted whom I thought was the Michigan Chair Co., but they claim no knowledge of the company and referred me to your web site.  I'd appreciate any help you could offer.  Thank you, Doug

Answer
wood is mahogany, ribbon stripe mahogany.

this label was used from 1905 until into the 20s.

single chairs do not sell for much money but this would be a keeper since it is family and would make a fine desk chair for a ladies desk or a side chair for a vanity.

in a shop it would be priced at 75-125.  it should be higher but that is the nature of the market.

it is a beautiful chair with a great back splat cut in the lambs tongue shape, good shaped legs and top crest.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein