Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bally 873 5 line

QUESTION: My question is. The top row does not pay out. The manual says that the cause is one of the jumper wires on the wipers behind the reels is broken or has a bad connection. I have tested each jumper from the contacts that touch the other board with a meter and did not find any issues. I also cleaned the contacts with an emery board which did fix other payouts. The jumper was the only option in the manual for the top line not paying. Do you know what else it could be?

ANSWER: Hi Frank,
Which manual are you using? Have you tried the troubleshooting manual yet? It's this one:

look for:

Bally Electro/Mechanical Trouble Shooting Manual/Guide
This Manual is in a PDF format. This is great help for finding those problems with your Bally e/m slot machine. Describes problems and possible causes. Instant download after purchase.

I'll try to look at it tonight after work if I get some extra time and see if it has some ideas in there. This is a good guide and is a lot of help for problems of this sort.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson

QUESTION: Sorry I should have specified. I have both the “bally-em-manual-2400” & “bally-em-troubleshooting” That I purchased from you. The troubleshooting guide is where I found the problem “Top Row Does Not Pay” on page 15. I should have added that if I play 2 quarters so that just the middle and top rows are lit and I get a cherry in the top left it will not pay. If I play 4 quarters so that the diagonal top left to bottom right row is lit and I get a cherry in the top left it will pay 4 quarters correctly.

Hi Frank,

So your using the 2400 manual and the troubleshooting guide, A good set to be working with, so now we have something to refer to. Sorry but I have so much of this coming at me right now from everywhere, I want to run and hide. Besides all this, I have a back log of machines here to fix for people, a real job to take care of, and a web site to run and almost all alone, it's just shy of being too much for me to handle right now. So, have a look at your coin in step up unit and take it apart, clean it, polish the contacts and make it like new. I think you will find this unit up in the top box behind the light board. I think that is where your problem might be, I can't just fix everything with a couple of key strokes and I wish I could, life would be a lot easer for all of us. But, I really think it's time to make that coin in step up unit look and work like new.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson

I am an expert on old coin operated machines, slot machines, trade stimulator's, jukeboxes, old arcade machines, etc. I have been identifying these for people who respond to my web site listed below, for a few years now. In almost all cases I am able to tell them about their old coin operated machines, the year, the value, and other general information about their machines. I do not know much about soda vending machines, coin banks, or scales, but I will try to help you with these if I can. Please email photo's to: My web site is at:

I bought my first slot machine, a .50 Cent Mills Black Cherry in 1969 and have been hooked from that time, I still have that Slot machine! Before that I found a open barrel full of old scraped jukebox wall boxes behind a restaurant, I wanted them all but never took a one of them. Anything that took a coin drove me nuts!

C.O.C.A. and other slot and coin operated machine groups, associations, groups, and clubs.

Many, the Coinslot magazine, always juken, Coin Slot Journal, Slot Box Collector, and others that I don’t remember at this time.

Graduated from Ballard High School in 1969, went to Edison Technical Collage for a couple of years taking welding and metal fabrication, tig, mig, heliarc, also arc and gas welding and fabrication. Then Apprenticed under a slot machine technician who worked in the slot machine industry Reno Nevada, and set up bar poker progressive machines in the casino's, and repaired machine and did the repairs on slot machine circuit boards there. He also was involved in the 2 hand dealer's market and bought and sold machines at the casinos auctions for the secondary market, which includes selling used machine overseas. I learned a ton from this man; he always had the correct answers and took the time to teach me the business. My interest and knowledge in other and older coin operated machine is for the most part, self-taught. It's been my passion from back in 1968 and before, my thirst for knowledge about these machines has kept me more interested over the years, and keeps me searching for more information even today. I have meet and talked to book authors on these machines, attended hundreds of coin operated shows and auctions, and I stay with that to this very day.

Take a look at my allexperts rating, and my guest book, links to these are at Also you can check my 100 percent rating on ebay, as I have been there with ebay from their day one, I am user coinslots at ebay. My other awards come from the very people that I deal with, I always make them happy, no matter what it takes, but they always are happy anyway as the countless thank you letters testify to me, so I know I am doing right, and the best I can. I have found so many hard to find parts for people, I hunt them down and don't stop until I find what is needed to get that customers machine running again and back to life, that is my main goal.

Client privacy prevents this answer, as some are VIP and famous and I will not betray the trust.