Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dining table, chairs & Buffet

Hi there,
I was hoping you could help me decide if I should paint this antique table chairs and buffet.  This was my great grandparents and the label on the buffet says General Furniture Company, Seattle, Washington.  We think it is from 1910.
My dad had the set refinished and as you can tell the person did a horrible job. The finish has oxidized.

We want to keep the set. But we want to paint it and recover enjoy it in a new light.  We figured since the finish is already ruined any value has been ruined with it.  However we have been asked to get a second opinion.

Is this set worth anything?
Should we not paint it and get it professional refinished to hold any value it might have?

Thank you so much for any guidance you can provide.

if it is important to you then have it properly refinished.  to have it professionally painted or prefessionally refinished would or should const about the same as the same procedure should be followed.

If refinished properly the set can be beautiful.  It looks like poor quality materials were used and applied improperly.  

I cannot see the wood grain in the photos but generally these 1910-20s sets are sweet gum and walnut veneers finished to a medium walnut brown color.

where are you located, i many know someone good in the area?

as to value, if properly redone the value would be restored, painting it would not and leaving as is would not.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971