Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hepplewhite Reproduction?

Hi Mr. Klein.  We bought a condo a high end retirement home in downtown DC.  The elderly owner had just passed away, and the family sold all the furniture with the condo.  I had to replace one of the drawer pulls that was missing, and noticed that it (the metal pull) was called Hepplewhite.  I was going to Craigslist these pieces, since they don't match our other furniture, and I began to think that they might have more value than I would just be guessing at.  They are a set, and have curved (bowed) drawers and/or doors.  They are solid wood with dovetail joints.  Very heavy pieces.  They don't say anything that I can find anywhere.  The back of the buffet says only some hand written numbers (33 [crossed out] then S3, then 453 over the number 735, then a line under that, as if it were a total, then 09 under the 735) also, part of a very old "tag" is stapled on the wood on the back -- It says things like Style, Finish, Type, etc. but there is no real info that I can discern.

Do you have any thoughts?

these pieces are mahogany veneer on all the surfaces, made around 1940 and appear to be in very good condition.  this style has been called Hepplewhite, Duncan Phyfe and Sheraton.  All worked out of the same design books at their time.  properly stated these would be Sheraton style, Duncan Phyfe style, or Hepplewhite style.  Since there is so much overlap I prefer the term Federal style.

As to fair market value in the DC area, it has been two/three years since I have been there  and since this style was made in huge numbers and I can only guess at the quality of construction let me say this that there is a very wide range of pricing on this style.  The china cabinet could range from 250-750 in DC.  In my area I can get about 600 for a cabinet of this style as it is of the better style having the two glass panels on either side of the door.  As to the buffet or sideboard, I have sold them here between 450 and 850.  The 850 was completely restored, had quartered and fluted corners and small carving at the top of the column.  Had it not been for that then 650 would have been the top retail.  At auctions we see these sideboards at 350 on average.

I personally think the better quality ones should go higher, but they don’t.

Best to check around the area and see what you find these priced in antique malls and shops and judge from there.

Thank you for your email.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971