Collectibles-General (Antiques)/protecting small basket

Question
Dear Cathryn,

We have a little basket that was woven by our 15 year old son in 1986  when he was in the  hospital recovering from a bone marrow transplant. My husband uses it  nightly to hold his pretzels snack.

Could you advise me regarding a preservative spray to protect it and keep it from falling apart.
It is holding up surprisingly  well, but it is very precious to us.

Our dear son lived 27 more years having married and helping raise three beautiful children. Sadly, last summer he was suddenly stricken with an aggressive form of cancer of the nerve sheaths in the spine, and despite radical surgery followed by massive amounts of radiation, he lost his fight September 1, 2013...

His faith was very strong and he trusted that God was in control through it all...

Now we believe he is in heaven, and we have only memories and mementos- like the little basket..

I hope you can advise me.

Thank you for you time.

Heidi Schnaidt

Answer
Hello Heidi,

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved son and can certainly understand why you'd want to preserve this precious basket memento, helping to keep his spirit alive in your hearts.

I would like to see a picture of the basket if at all possible to find out what material was used when he wove it and also how big it is and what weaving technique was used. Can you post a picture here or send me one privately if you'd rather, to info@wickerwoman.com?

On my website I have a page telling how to preserve and care for baskets though, if you'd like to read about it you can go to the Articles navigation tab and click on How-to Care for Wicker Baskets.

Or you can click on this link and go directly to the Basket Care article.  

http://www.wickerwoman.com/articles/basket-care

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters