Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Refinishing an antique china cabinet

Question
How do I refinish an antique china cabinet that is used for miniture what nots.  I know if I remove the old finish It will lose its value completely.  So, please give me instructions on how to refinish this piece of funiture without losing its value and importance...

Answer
Lyman - The question of lost value is not automatic. It depends on the age, style and condition of the piece as well as your definition of "antique." The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value.

If you can send me some clear digital photos of the cabinet I will be happy to tell you what I can. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at info@furnituredetective.com. Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not respond.
Thanks.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor