Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Refinishing an antique china cabinet

How do I refinish an antique china cabinet that is used for miniture what nots.  I know if I remove the old finish It will lose its value completely.  So, please give me instructions on how to refinish this piece of funiture without losing its value and importance...

Lyman - The question of lost value is not automatic. It depends on the age, style and condition of the piece as well as your definition of "antique." The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value.

If you can send me some clear digital photos of the cabinet I will be happy to tell you what I can. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not respond.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida