Collectibles-General (Antiques)/settee

what can you tell me about the settee and chair what year and how much can I get for it

Brenda - Your settee and chair were originally part of a three or four piece parlor set from around the turn of the 20th century. They are made of birch and originally had a mahogany finish. That is called  “simulated mahogany” and was correctly explained in the 1902 Sears catalog as being both stronger and less expensive than genuine mahogany. A similar four piece set is shown in the 1902 Sears catalog for $12.45.

They were factory made and mass produced. Each piece would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range. However, a great deal depends on the local market. Here is a similar four piece set that sold at auction in September 2013 in Kentucky for $35.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida