Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sligh-Lowry Desk /Table

Question
Sligh Lowry  Writing Desk
Sligh Lowry Writing D  

Desk Top Finish Design
Desk Top Finish Design  
I found this Sligh-Lowry inscribed desk at a swap meet and have enjoyed over the past few years. Unfortunately doesn't fit in my new place & I would like to sell but wanted to get some info on it first.  It is a writing desk with 3 drawers (measuring 44Wx22Dx30h)but the double-top has hinges on the back side and glides open so that it then becomes a square table top of 44x44 perched over the desk base. It appears to still have its original finish, and overall is in avg-good condition with only some pen/ink marks inside the desk drawer and some scrapes at base of the legs. 2 pics attached; others to your email.

Answer
Lori - Sligh-Lowry was formed as a subsidiary of Charles R. Sligh Co/Sligh Furntiure Co in 1945 as a contract furniture maker.

According to the book "Grand Rapids Furniture- The Story of America's Furniture City" by Christian Carron, the history of Sligh-Lowry is as follows -

"The Sligh-Lowry Contract Furniture Co subsidiary produced more college dormitory furniture in its period of operation (1945-1962) than any other manufacturer. It also produced furniture on contract for hotels, motels and nursing homes. As contract orders declined they were more than replaced by the increase in production of clocks by the Trend Clock division,later named Slight Clock Co."      

The Sligh-Lowry subsidiary closed in 1962.

Your unusual desk should sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the extra photos.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor