Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Steamer Trunk

Question
Drucker  Trunk
Drucker Trunk  

Trunk
Trunk  
Hi ,
My sister gave me a Drucker Steamer Trunk it has the original tag inside  and it says registered  JAN'Y 12 1897 and on top of the outside of the lid of the trunk it has a little metal plate and it says  The Drucker  PAT. DECEMBER  1900 the lock has the  number 30 on it I'm thinking it's the the Key number that opens the trunk . I don't have the key
And It has one lift out tray. My Question can you tell me how old it is and it's  value.
Debbie

Answer
1911 Lipscomb Trunk Company
1911 Lipscomb Trunk Co  
Hi Debbie,

This style trunk was usually called a canvas covered Dress Trunk by the makers. Most trunk companies had a few trunks of this style in various sizes. Nathan Drucker & Co of Cincinnati, Ohio was in business for many years and made many styles of trunks and had a variety of patents for trunk hardware. The 1897 date is when they registered their new trademark with the lion and large D, with their guarantee. The Dec 1900 patent was for some of the hardware they designed. But those same parts were used for the next twenty years.  It is very hard to narrow down the age very much on some of these trunks. But this one was a common and popular style from 1900 to the early 1920's, so at least you know that, and it is most likely from about 1901 to 1910. Also your trunk has the labels, which many trunks of this type don't have.  The locks of that style were made by Eagle Lock Company of Terryville, CT and the number 30 is the key code.  Those keys can be found and I also sell them if interested. It's nice that your trunk still has the original tray, which is often missing. Drucker made good quality trunks and in it's current condition your trunk has a value in the range of about $150 to $300. Prices vary some by area and by the overall condition of the trunk.  
I'm attaching a page from the Nashville Trunk Company of 1911 which shows similar style trunks for men and women's use, so you can see some of the details they give about it.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller