Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Unknown camera model

Dear sir,

I have an old photo camera that has been in my family from the early 1920 or 1930. Actually, it was my Grandma's first camera.
Since she was quite young then, she could not remember  the type and manufacturer of this model. If you could help me regarding this question I would really appreciate it. Couple of pictures are in attachment.
Thank you in advance.

Darko Nastic

You have a Pokarelle, a simple amateur box camera, made by Balda-Werke of Germany from 1929 to 1933. It used #120 or B2 roll film, and it would make either 6x9 cm or 4x6 cm exposures. Bald-Werke sold zillions of simple box cameras through the 1920's-1930's, and all the models remain extremely common in Europe. The value today is only about $20. But it obviously has far more sentimental value as your grandmother's first camera. Take good care of it!

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique and classic CAMERAS, vintage PHOTOGRAPHS, and the HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm; from daguerreotypes and tintypes to the black & white images by the 20th century masters. I can identify and appraise, explain techniques and processes, offer insights on restoration and preservation, and provide guidelines for buying and selling.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for over 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at:

BA and MA in anthropology