Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vanity

Question
Vanity
Vanity  

Vanity caster, drawers, & top
Vanity caster, drawers  
I purchased this vanity to restore it.  I was very excited to find none of the casters broken.  I was wondering if you could tell me how old it is and/or a bit more about it.

Answer
Allyson Your three mirror vanity is from the 1920s. If the glass is original it will have a date on it. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The vanity is made entirely of a secondary wood, probably red gum that was stained to look like walnut. The appliques are probably original, an effort to dress up an otherwise fairly plain piece.

Good luck with your restoration.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor