Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Wood armchair

armchair legs
armchair legs  
I have a wood armchair that belonged to my great, great aunt. My Mum said there were 2 of them a ladies and a man's. I would say mine is the man's. I haven't been able to find a picture of them to identify age and origin. I've tried identifying the legs and back style, but still came up with a blank.
It needs to be re glued and probably new canvas support under the cushion.
I would appreciate so much if you could help me.

from around 1900 in birch and figured birch wood stained to look like mahogany.  the finish is original.

this is called empire style, some say second period empire or third period, others say empire revival--auctioneer terms cuz it sounds good.

empire period in American furniture was in the early 1800s so this would be called empire style although it has other influence.  is also called colonial revival empire style.

seat is called a slip seat cushion because it will come out to be worked on.

regluing these is not easy and is not a home project.  if it is just a little loose just use it and use toluene free briwax in the antique mahogany color on the wood.

retail in a shop about 250-350 in good condition  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971