Collectibles-General (Antiques)/5-legged table

Question
5-Legged Table
5-Legged Table  
Hello, This table was in the cellar at my family farm which dates back to late 1880's. Setting in dirt it was fortunate the cellar was always dry. The rollers were not attached and I never thought to look for any leaves when I saved it about 30 yrs. ago, (I don't think I knew there were any).  Obviously the top is stained but it is very solid with the original paint. I keep a cover on it but have thought about putting a finish on the top. Just curious about the approximate age and what I could do to spruce it up but not ruin the value.  I was blessed with inheriting my parents home full of beautiful antiques and why this old table is what I'm using is beyond me..LOL. In my collection is a refinished square rosewood babygrand with gum legs and says: "Last tuned 1876 Schaum"on the inside, x-tra large walnut wardrobe, walnut working pump organ, clawfoot walnut drop leaf, exquisitely carved 3 piece walnut bedroom set and much more.  I treasure all these pieces which is why I have not parted with any but with two full houses I need to find some items a loving home.  Anyway..was curious about this table and if you are agreeable I may send pics of some other items.  TYVM!

Answer
Waunita - Your table is typical of those sold by mail order in the late 19th and early 20th century. These tables were factory made almost exclusively of oak or ash and were shipped with a clear shellac finish. The blue paint may be old but it is not original to the table.

A virtually identical ash table is shown in the 1895 Sears catalog, page 589. The six foot version sold for $2.64. The twelve foot version went for $5.28.

The fifth leg was a new innovation in the period that accompanied the extension tables. The fifth leg was attached to the middle section of the slides so that it stayed in place in the center as the table was expanded to add leaves.

At this point you will lose no value by refinishing the top or even the entire table. In restored condition the table would sell at auction in the $100 range. Here is a similar table that sold in 2012 for $70.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/14862750_oak-dining-table

You can send additional photos to me as .jpg files at info@furnituredetective.com. Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor