Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Child's Rocker

Question
Cat in Rocker
Cat in Rocker  

Rocker
Rocker  
Can you please tell me something about this rocker -  age, description, value?  It comes from my family and that is all I know about it.

Answer
Kay - Your rocker is a "press back" bentwood rocker. The design in the back was not carved. It was made by the impression of a sharp steel die under great pressure that was rolled across the surface of the wood. The design was literally pressed into the wood. The "bentwood" obviously comes form the way the arms are constructed.

The chair was factory made around the turn of the 20th century. Virtually identical chairs are shown in the book "American Wooden Chairs 1895-1908" published by Schiffer. It is a reprint of the catalogs of the period of Phoenix Chair Co of Sheboygan, Wis. A very similar child's rocker is also shown in the 1897 Sears catalog. It was made of elm and sold for $.90.

Here is a similar rocker that sold at auction in May 2013 for $90.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/17825781_childs-pressed-back-rocker-with-run

With its condition issues your chair would sell in the $50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor