Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique rocking chair

Question
engravings on top of headboard
engravings on top of h  

side veiw
side veiw  
I have a antique rocking chair that was given to me. I've been trying to research online to find info on it but seems every antique rocking chair are completely different. Anyway it doesn't have any markings at all on it. I believe it is from late 1800s-early 1900s but not positive. So I'm dying to know more about it, the manufacturer? The age? And of course the value? Any helpful info I would really appreciate. Thank you.

Answer
Wayne,

Thanks for the question.  Without a manufacturer plate or marking, it would be impossible to tell you who made the rocker as millions were made at the turn of the century in every conceivable shape, size and decorative pattern.  Yours looks a little later, maybe closer to the 20's based on the heavy use of leather (probably replaced) as the early ones used mostly wood with only a little fabric for the seat - generally.  Also, the style looks more transitional than Victorian suggesting a slightly later date of manufacture.  Assuming it is in good working order and doesn't have any cracks, splits, repairs to the wood, etc., I would say your piece is probably values in the $125 - $150 range given the right buyer, possibly a little higher if the condition is perfect.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dennis

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach