Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique rocking chair

Rocking chair 1
Rocking chair 1  

Rocking chair 2
Rocking chair 2  
Hi - I purchased this rocking chair 33 years ago at an estate sale. I have reupholstered the seat twice but have not done anything to the wood finish. It does have an old repair to the decorative cross piece across the front. I have never been able to find any information on how old the chair is, it's maker, or it's value. Can you help?
Thank you,

it was manufactured around 1920-30

wood is most likely gum and would have had a dark walnut stain originally other than the lighter panels which are done with the dark outline to emphasis the panel.  without a label no one can tell you the manufacturer as there were 5000 in operation at the time.

waxed up and in a shop it would sell at 250-275.

colonial revival.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971