Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Who is C. Goyard?

Question
trunk
trunk  
Can you identify the maker of the big, old trunk we own? I'm attaching a pic of the label.

Answer
Sue,

That is a very interesting label in your trunk.  It is fairly typical of French trunk labels of the mid to late 1800's, but I have to say I have not yet found any history on the name C. Goyard. The label does indicate that they were in Paris and that C. Goyard was the successor of the earlier company of Templeux, (the words Ancienne Maison Templeux basically means the founding company (or home) of Templeux). And like most French trunk makers, they also made a variety of other traveling goods, robes, etc. and did packing. That is actually how Louis Vuitton got his start, by being a personal luggage packer for the royal family. (The wealthier families in France would actually hire professional packers when they took trips).  At first, most people would think that this C. Goyard was related to the famous E. Goyard trunk manufacturer (which stands for Edme Goyard).  But the history of the E. Goyard company does not show a C. Goyard in the family. But there were other Goyards in France, so I can only say that this must have been another Goyard that got into the trunk and luggage business.  There is very little historical information available on many American and European trunk makers, so I am not really surprised that very little if any information is available on C. Goyard. It would probably take a good bit of research into historical documents in Paris to find the details about this trunk maker.  Unless someone puts that information on a website it would be nearly impossible for us to discover from the United States. You might find someone who specializes in French trunks online that is located in France that may have some history on C. Goyard.  I wish I could help you more and good luck with any further research you may do.  
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller