Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Who is C. Goyard?

Can you identify the maker of the big, old trunk we own? I'm attaching a pic of the label.

That is a very interesting label in your trunk.  It is fairly typical of French trunk labels of the mid to late 1800's, but I have to say I have not yet found any history on the name C. Goyard. The label does indicate that they were in Paris and that C. Goyard was the successor of the earlier company of Templeux, (the words Ancienne Maison Templeux basically means the founding company (or home) of Templeux). And like most French trunk makers, they also made a variety of other traveling goods, robes, etc. and did packing. That is actually how Louis Vuitton got his start, by being a personal luggage packer for the royal family. (The wealthier families in France would actually hire professional packers when they took trips).  At first, most people would think that this C. Goyard was related to the famous E. Goyard trunk manufacturer (which stands for Edme Goyard).  But the history of the E. Goyard company does not show a C. Goyard in the family. But there were other Goyards in France, so I can only say that this must have been another Goyard that got into the trunk and luggage business.  There is very little historical information available on many American and European trunk makers, so I am not really surprised that very little if any information is available on C. Goyard. It would probably take a good bit of research into historical documents in Paris to find the details about this trunk maker.  Unless someone puts that information on a website it would be nearly impossible for us to discover from the United States. You might find someone who specializes in French trunks online that is located in France that may have some history on C. Goyard.  I wish I could help you more and good luck with any further research you may do.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.