Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cabinet bed

cabinet bed
cabinet bed  
cabinet bed
cabinet bed  
QUESTION: A few months back I asked a question about my cabinet bed and you asked for a picture of it opened.  Attached are 2 pictures.  Anything more you can tell me about it and an approximate value would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: could you post the picture of it as in the first post-closed too-please and also copy and paste the first post.  use the followup function.  i do not know where the other post is and it would take a while to try and locate it.  it has been a while, thanks.

Cabinet bed
Cabinet bed  
cabinet bed
cabinet bed  
QUESTION: I recently purchased this cabinet bed and was wondering if you can tell me the approximate age and value.  I can't find any markings on it, so am having a hard time researching it. It is in wonderful condition and I was wondering if you can tell from the picture what kind of wood it is. Thank you so much

ANSWER: The wood is oak and quarter sawn oak (tiger oak common name).  Called a murphy bed although many were not made by murphy.

looking at the picture i would say that the metal on the top cross piece are the legs when it is folded down.

You will find a lot of info online concerning murphy beds.

1890-1915 give or take a few years.

these are quite handy to have, would you post a picture of it opened?

thanks for the additional pictures.

ones like this I have seen in shops priced at 2500, i dont see them sell at this price but even so an insurance value would be higher yet.

a fair market value for these would be in the 1800-2200 retail niche as shown.  if you were to wax it up and everything worked as it should a top retail would reach 2500.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971