Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cabinet bed

Question
cabinet bed
cabinet bed  
cabinet bed
cabinet bed  
QUESTION: A few months back I asked a question about my cabinet bed and you asked for a picture of it opened.  Attached are 2 pictures.  Anything more you can tell me about it and an approximate value would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: could you post the picture of it as in the first post-closed too-please and also copy and paste the first post.  use the followup function.  i do not know where the other post is and it would take a while to try and locate it.  it has been a while, thanks.

Cabinet bed
Cabinet bed  
QUESTION:
cabinet bed
cabinet bed  
QUESTION: I recently purchased this cabinet bed and was wondering if you can tell me the approximate age and value.  I can't find any markings on it, so am having a hard time researching it. It is in wonderful condition and I was wondering if you can tell from the picture what kind of wood it is. Thank you so much

ANSWER: The wood is oak and quarter sawn oak (tiger oak common name).  Called a murphy bed although many were not made by murphy.

looking at the picture i would say that the metal on the top cross piece are the legs when it is folded down.

You will find a lot of info online concerning murphy beds.

1890-1915 give or take a few years.

these are quite handy to have, would you post a picture of it opened?

Answer
thanks for the additional pictures.

ones like this I have seen in shops priced at 2500, i dont see them sell at this price but even so an insurance value would be higher yet.

a fair market value for these would be in the 1800-2200 retail niche as shown.  if you were to wax it up and everything worked as it should a top retail would reach 2500.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein