Collectibles-General (Antiques)/caned rocking chair

wicker antique chair
wicker antique chair  

wicker antique chair
wicker antique chair  
I purchased this rocking chair and was hoping you could tell me what type of chair this is and maybe a date and any other information would be appreciated. Its very large and has mushroom caps on arms.

Hi Deedee,

Actually your lovely rocker is not a caned rocker, but rather a wicker rocker, circa 1898-1910. Without a manufacturer's label, it's impossible to date exactly nor to say who made the rocker for sure.

Popular designs spanned many years of production and manufacturers "borrowed" from each other quite a bit.

From the two excellent pictures you attached, it's woven with what appears to be flat and round rattan reed, with the embellishments of wooden beads.

The spokes (vertical strands) in the back and the rolled area at the top of the back are where the round reed was used. And the horizontal strands in the back and on the seat are woven with the flat reed. Then the entire piece was stained and varnished.

Since there are several broken strands in the seat, I would advise using a large padded seat cushion to protect from further damage. And since this appears to be the original finish, DO NOT paint it, so as not to devalue.

Please go to my website and read the How-to Articles and other pages on Antique Wicker to find out how to care for your antique wicker rocker and to preserve for future generations.

If you want to get a certified appraisal, contact Richard Saunders via his ad on the National Furniture Repair Directory on, listed in the Wicker Repair section.

Enjoy your piece of American Wicker History!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters

I will answer any questions having to do with antique wicker furniture, wicker furniture repair and restoration, chair caning and all other types of chair seat weaving techniques and patterns. I DO NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or free WHAT IT'S WORTH valuations, nor do I buy/sell wicker furniture at this time.

Since 1975 I've been repairing and restoring all types of wicker furniture from the 1880s-1940s, with a special interest in the Victorian era. I'm proficient in the repair and restoration of all types of chair seat weaving; hand-twisted cattail and bulrush, paper fiber rush, chair caning of all types, Shaker tape, Danish cord and seagrass. I also teach chair seat weaving at folk schools, basketry conventions and private individuals or groups. I also offer consultations, and will demonstrate and lecture on the craft topics of chair seating, wicker repair and basketry. I am also web master of, online since 1999 and founder and moderator of the Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum since 2004.

Founding member and first President of The SeatWeavers' Guild, Inc. (TSWG 2007-2011), Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum founder and moderator (2004-present), charter member of the National Basketry Organization, numerous regional and state basket guilds, and member of the Basketmakers' and Chair Seaters' Association (BA) located in the United Kingdom.

Woman's Day Budget Decorating Ideas 2006, Country Living August 2004, Finishing & Restoration Magazine, October 2002, Barbara Brabec's Handmade For Profit, Homemade Money-Starting Smart! and Homemade Money-Bringing in the Bucks!, Collector's Journal, Basketry Round-Up #2 by Shereen LaPlantz, Splint Woven Basketry by Robin Taylor Daugherty, 101 Best Home-Based Businesses for Women by Priscilla Y. Huff, Ralph & Terry Kovel's Yellow Pages of Restoration Experts, Small Town Minnesota from A-Z by Tony Andersen and monthly Wicker Furniture columnist for Minnesota's The Old Times newspaper in 1993 & 1994.

High school graduate, self-taught, and "school of hard knocks" for all the rest!

I've been involved in several unique wicker restoration projects such as weaving two wicker chairs for the Johnson Wax Replica Sikorsky S-38 Amphibian Airplane in 1998, then two more in 2000 for Buzz Kaplan, owner of Born Again Restorations, the company that created the replica Sikorsky, and did the restoration of all the wicker furniture in the Itasca State Park, Bemidji, MN during their Centennial celebration in 1995. I've also served as Chair Seatweaving Mentor to an apprentice through the Minnesota State Arts Board Folk Art Grant program in 2000, been the recipient of a McKnight/Arrowhead Regional Arts Council (ARAC) Career Opportunity Grant in 2004, and the recipient of a McKnight/ARAC Emerging Artist Fellowship in 2005.