Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Chifferobe

Question
Chifferobe
Chifferobe  
I received this antique from an old friend when my daughter was little, about 18 years ago. It was painted with lots of paint. We had it striped and refinished along time ago. My husband thought it was made from maple, but not sure.
I don't know anything about it. Would you know what time period it could be from and where possibly made? I have searched online and can't find anything like it to compare.
I would like to know what you think it could be worth also.
Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Take care, Dianne

Answer
Dianne - Your small scale chifferobe is from the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s (not an antique). It is made entirely of secondary wood, poplar and gum, and probably was originally factory painted. Factories used smooth grain secondary woods in their painted lines. The woods are very similar in appearance to maple but lack the depth and grain pattern of maple.

No way to tell where or by whom it was made without a label. It is fairly generic. It probably would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor