Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Duluth trunk?

Question
Hi Marvin, I was given an antique trunk.  It has a metal tag on the top that says Duluth Trunk Factory Make and on the middle lock it says Corbin Cabinet Lock Co on top and New Britian Count. on the bottom.  The lock is missing the internal components, I think it was pried open.  The side flip locks have the # 4 on them and work. On the inside lid is canvas with a paper picture of a boy in a blue shirt and hat. It is missing the tray and I think 1 leather handle may of been replaced.  Would you have any idea of its date?  I can send pictures by email if you like.

Answer
Duluth Trunk Label
Duluth Trunk Label  
Sherry,

As you describe the trunk, it has items that were very common on trunks of the 1880's to the 1910's, so I would really need to see pictures in order to narrow that down any. Corbin made several types of trunk locks during those years and the latches with the 4 on them (which is the size) were made from 1878 until the 1920's.  The pictures in trunks were chromolithographs printed by printing companies and sold to trunk makers and they were used from the 1870's until about 1920 also. The Duluth Trunk Factory put brass labels on the outside of some trunks and paper labels inside the lid of some of their trunks. From pictures I may be able to see something else that would help narrow down the age some, but these types of trunks were made for many years.

Best regards,
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller