Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Forsyth Manufacturing Co

I purchased this dresser at a yard sale with hopes to paint because I liked the design. I then noticed the Forsyth Manufacturing label on the back and became curious. It seems as though the piece has already been painted though by others. Did they paint items such as this in the beginning of the 20th century? Thanks for all your help!!

Erica - Your Queen Anne style dresser is from the Depression era of the 1930s. It is probably made of walnut veneer and would be striking in an original wood finish.

Some pieces were originally painted during the Depression but most were not, especially from Forsythe.

The main problem you will have will be the compatibility of whatever paint you plan to use with the current paint.

If you want to discuss those issued email me privately at

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida